Thursday, December 16, 2010

American Craft NYC show Nov. 19-21


It's a busy holiday time of year for all of us..but I wanted
keep my promise of talking about the new NYC show
I participated in Nov. 19-21: www.americancraftshownyc.com
The image above is my booth.. Snarval and Wudaineon
welcomed customers into my space. My set up was simpler
than usual in part because the show provided black pipe
and drape for us. This meant I could use less of my set up
materials. I kept the focus on my figures for this show. I
plan on using a variation of this booth for ACC Baltimore in Feb.

For a new show, I thought it went well. There was
a wonderful eclectic mix of fine art and craft with an equal
spread of very established artists and emerging artists.
Live musicians set up in various areas to perform, large
paintings were painted on the spot, ceramic demonstrations
pulled in customers, and there even were live professional
models in an area dedicated to figure drawings complete
with chairs and pads of paper. (The figure drawing was
the favorite part of the show for my niece's 8 year old
daughter!). All in all the show had a rather funky, fun
New York City edge to it which I rather liked.

I have less images to share than usual since I forgot my
camera, but was able to borrow one to take a photo
of my booth...and that of Valerie Bunnell, a good
friend and awesome figurative artist: www.valeriebunnell.com





I met Joanna Gabler who exhibited her photography
at the show: www.naturetransfigured.com Joanna
writes: "Art is and always will be a sacred gate
between the invisible and the visible". I was
especially drawn to her "gateways and passages" series
dedicated to a friend who died recently. Check out
that section of her website...the second image is the
one that invited me in!

Since I was staying down in New York to celebrate
Thanksgiving I had a few days to wander. When down
in Chelsea I happened upon the Rubin Museum of Art
on 17th street between 6th and 7th Ave: www.rmanyc.org
The museum is dedicated to the art of the Himalayas
and surrounding regions and is a breath of calm in
a bustling city. I spent the afternoon there
looking at its various exhibit..check out the website..
and watching a group of school children sketching
objects in a Tibetan altar and talking about why they
selected a specific object.

Then went over to the Lyons Wier gallery to see
the exhibit by Jan Huling: www.janhuling.com
who describes herself as a children's book author
and beadist!...Yes, beads, beads, beads..with humor!

I also spent some time at the Museum of Natural
History and its exhibit exploring the similarities and
differences between the brains of humans and other
animals and went to my favorite area of the museum
which has masks from the Pacific Northwest. The
creativity and humor of the art enthralls me.

Returned home bustled for a local holiday show,
finished up some orders (including a new journal cover...
with a phoenix!...stay tuned..may be a new series!),
worked with after school children and community
on a First Night Project (images on a future blog post)
and finally am doing some holiday baking.....

I hope your holiday preparations are filled with
lots of sweet scents and fun!

Journey on! Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment