Friday, February 5, 2010

Taxidermy sculpting epoxy!



As I hinted last week, I’ve been investigating new sources of materials while working on the large dragon seen in the last post. Thanks to artist friend, Valerie Bunnell, I was introduced to the magic of “Apoxie sculpt” by Aves from the Taxidermy (!) Supply house of McKenzie: www.Mckenziesp.com No, I haven’t turned to a new art form, but this epoxy is worth taking a look at. As all epoxies, it comes in two part which you mix up. The beauty is that has a working time of up to 2-3 hours after mixing. During that time you can push, prod, sculpt to your heart's content. Full cure time is 24 hours. At that point it can be sanded, drilled, painted , carved, etc. As the container says: it “adheres to ceramic, metal, wood, stone, glass, plastic, resin, fiberglass, polymers..and more.

For my purposes, it was just the thing to attach my metal armature to wood head parts and to attach the Dragon’s “jaw” to the rest of the dragon head. Attaching wood and stone parts has always been a little tricky for me. This opens up all sorts of possibilities. The photo above shows how I used the epoxy to bond the wood to the wire armature. The epoxy comes in three colors. I chose to buy the brown since it worked best with the "stump".

Just goes to show, you never know where inspiration will come from next!

More photos of dragon as it progresses in next week’s post!

Create on! Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment