Thursday, April 8, 2010

Flight and Extreme Action Heroes

Flying and flying creatures have always been integral to my
work. I've always flown a lot in my dream...but dreams don't
completely satisfy. I really have wanted to fly when awake, and
not just in planes. Recently, IAF president,Ellen Kushner,
forwarded info about an event connected with a movement
company started by Elizabeth Streb. Their website is:
www.streb.org
I'm fascinated. Wonder if I would have had the nerve to
try this out during my modern and jazz dancing years in
college and in my 20's and 30's??
I definitely suggest you check out their YOUtube videos
Here's the link to one video. My favorite images are
toward the end of the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gK-O95c5E8
Word of caution - you might not want your young risk taking
children/grandchildren to view it without supervision!

Elizabeth has just written a new book:"How to Become an
Extreme Action Hero" and will launch it an a "lively and
unconventional presentation" on April 21, 6;30 PM in NYC.
Details;
CUNY Graduate Center, Proshansky Auditorium
365 Fifth Ave.(at 34th Street.)
NYC, NY

To quote the PR:

"Elizabeth Streb has been testing the potential of the human
body since childhood. Can she fly? Can she run up walls? Can
she breakthrough glass? How fast can she go? In her new book
Streb: How to Become an Extreme Action Hero, she conveys how
she developed a form of movement that's more NASCAR than
modern dance, more boxing than ballet."

Sure wish I could be there. Next time I'm in Brooklyn, I may
try to drop by their rehearsal space which is open to the public.
Website says;

"You are welcome to come and watch classes and rehearsals. We
rehearse Tuesday through Friday from 11:30-3:30pm. Location:
51 North 1st. Street,Brooklyn, NY 11211

Come in and watch the process as it unfolds and if you have a
great idea let us know. STREB believes that the cross section
of activity in our space feeds the creativity. Bring lunch and
use our WiFi!"

Please - if anyone gets there...let me know!! The world is
certainly filled with amazing individuals who enjoy
pushing the envelope!! Onward! Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment